Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tomatoes and Other Perishable Things

Sunday, August 30, 2009

So this is the 3rd night in a row (I know, can’t hardly believe it myself) that I’ve made dinner from scratch. I had a bag of vegetables (tomatoes and cucumbers) from my parent’s garden. I love tomatoes…so did dad. Dad worked very hard in that garden up until a couple of weeks before he passed.

Every summer for many years, I’ve waited impatiently for dad’s tomatoes to ripen. He grew the best tomatoes (in my opinion). This fall will be the last of them, the ones that dad grew anyway. About a week ago, I ate the last cookie that he had made (after retirement, dad started baking). Soon, there will be a lot of firsts…the first holidays without dad, the first milestones that he won’t be here for.

As I cut into the tomatoes this afternoon, I tried to relish each bite that I stole while making dinner, and watched as the seeds and juice spilled out onto the cutting board not wanting to waste any of it now.

3 comments:

  1. I promise you.....that you will always cherish the memories of those tomatoes as well as the cookies. You will always remember eating them and the marvelous taste of them. No other cookies will ever taste as delicious and no other tomatoes will ever be as tender and sweet. Hold those memories in your mind and your heart....they are every bit as precious as all of the other memories that are crowding your heart right now. When you need them, the memories will be waiting for you to revisit them, to enjoy them, and to 'taste' them again and again! I think your dad will be smiling down and watching the smiles that accompany your tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I burst out laughing when I read this line, "(after retirement, dad started baking.)" It just so perfectly allowed me to envision Uncle Doug beginning a new phase and making the most of it. You're beginning a new phase as well. But I am convinced that Doug will always be in that tomato garden. And the fruit will always taste that sweet as a result.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in awe that you have can cook from scratch. I would so love to be able to do that. Hold on to all of those memories. They will help lead you through any tough times that you may experience. Thank you for sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete